Home PCs are very much alive and being well-used. Home PC usage rates are stable, both in overall penetration and in the number being used.
Nearly all online American adults regularly use a home PC, yet they see them differently. Younger Americans see them as adding to their entertainment, while for older adults it helps them get things done, communicate, and shop. Home PCs have evolved from being a primary focus of American technology life to being one of many devices. Usage patterns and form factor choices vary; by user age, household composition, choice of OS ecosystems, and other factors.
This MetaFacts Highlights Report looks at the major trends in home PC usage in the US and examines how users have changed in both their levels of home PC use and activities. Also, it examines PC trends with respect to the broadened use of alternative devices. Further, it investigates differences by user age, presence of children, OS of other devices, and other factors.
The source for this analysis is MetaFacts TUP/Technology User Profile, with results from waves 2019 and earlier, all based on surveys of from 7,326 to 8,060 online adults in the US.
Highlights Report Contents
- Home PC Penetration
- Number of Home PCs
- Number of Home PCs in use by User Age Group
- Average Age of US Home PCs
- Age of Home PC by User Age
- Top 10 Activities for Home PCs
- Top 10 Activities for Smartphones
- Main Activity Gaps and Overlaps on Home PCs and Smartphones
- Age-Skewed Home PC Activities
- Number of Home PCs and Presence of Children
- Smartphone, Home PC, and Tablet use by User Age Group
- Home PC Operating Systems
- Home PC Form Factors by Brand
- Home PC Form Factor by User Age Group
- Home PC OS Ecosystems of Connected Devices
- Average Age of Home PCs by Brand
- Home PC Activities by Brand
- Number of Home PCs by Brand
- What’s Ahead for Home PCs
How to obtain the results
- Current subscribers to TUP/Technology User Profile may request the full Highlights Report, supporting TUP information used for this analysis, or even deeper analysis
- For example, clients may request similar results outside the US, or within your chosen market subset
- For more information about MetaFacts and subscribing to TUP, please contact MetaFacts
You must be logged in to post a comment.