In its earliest days, Apple computers were often snuck into companies. Often, in order to throw IT and accounting departments off the track, they would be expensed as office supplies. Now, Apple is starting to make inroads into homes in a somewhat reminiscent way. While not (yet?) the primary Home PC, as the 2nd or 3rd Home PC, Apple stands a chance to challenge the Windows majority standard.
Apple has not had a dominant share of the overall Home PC market for decades. Still, Apple has raised its rank among U.S. households by recent gains in Home PC purchases.
Apple’s current share of the installed base of Home PCs is 6%, ranking it fifth among PC brands.
Apple’s foothold in homes is not (yet) as the primary PC. Only 5% of these most-used Home PCs are Apple. Where Apple shines is as the 3rd PC, with 8% of 3rd Home PCs, the fifth-ranked position.
This information is released from the Apple Profile Report, a Technology User Profile solution from MetaFacts. It is based on recent survey-based research, reporting directly from a representative sample of actual users. The Apple Profile Report is available for immediate purchase through the online store at the MetaFacts website – MetaFacts.com
Other findings in the Apple Profile Report include:
- The life of the Apple computer, longer or shorter?
- How Apple computers are used distinctly from Windows PCs
- Apple’s retail footprint – success and failure
- Apple users concentrated in few occupations
- Why a cybercafé survey might fool you
- Just how “different” and elite are Apple customers – socioeconomically, behaviorally, and attitudinally?
- Apple loyalty – still faithful?
- The halo effect – has the iPod changed Apple’s PC business?
- Just how more creative are Apple’s users than the Windows crowd?
- Apple’s most-connected – broadband households
- Apple & the future digital home?
- Apple’s future – who is Apple attracting?
MetaFacts releases ongoing research on the market shifts and profiles for Windows Vista, Mobile PCs, Workplace PCs, Home PCs, Broadband, Digital Imaging, and many other technology industry topics. These Profile Reports are in a series on specific topics utilizing the Technology User Profile Annual Edition study, which reveals the changing patterns of technology adoption and use in American households and businesses. Interested technology professionals can sign up for complimentary TUPdates, periodic snapshots of technology markets.
MetaFacts, Inc. is a national market research firm focusing exclusively on the technology industries. MetaFacts’ Technology User Profile survey is the longest-running, large-scale comprehensive study of its kind, conducted continuously since 1983, the year before Apple released the Apple Macintosh. The detailed results are widely recognized as a primary marketing resource for Fortune 1000 companies providing consumer-oriented technology products and services, such as PCs, printers, peripherals, mobile computing, and related services and products. For more information, contact MetaFacts at 1-760-635-4300 or www.metafacts.com