Hewlett-Packard leads the installed base for New Vista Primary Home PCs while Dell leads the installed base in New XP Primary Home PCs.
Four in ten New Vista Primary Home PCs purchased are Hewlett-Packard (37%) while one out of four is Dell (24%).
One-third of New XP Primary Home PCs purchased are Dell (35%) while a quarter are Hewlett-Packard (23%).
Other findings in the MetaFacts Operating Systems Profile Report include:
- Operating System Landscape
- Multi-PC and Multi-OS Households
- Home Operating Systems and Demographics
- Having children in the household does make a difference for Vista
- Household employment and operating system
- Education level and operating system within the household
- Annual household income and operating system
- People age 18-34 are using more Apple primary home PCs than older people
- Purchase Channels
- Apple gets a bigger share of direct sales than Windows PCs
- PC Brands & Operating Systems
- New PC brands bought by operating system
- Total installed base for all primary home PCs shows some movement from the big brands in the new PC market
- Changes in PC Form Factors – Laptops are coming on strong as new primary PC form factor
- How Different Operating Systems are Used Differently
- Email is the most frequent activity of users on all primary home PCs
- New primary home PC user activities
- Operating Systems and Other Consumer Electronics
- Handheld device use and operating system of the household
- Imaging behavior and household operating system
- Television viewing habits and operating system in the household
- Convenience is the key for households that have at least one Apple Home PC
- Some Older Windows Households are planning to upgrade while still taking advantage of older technology
- Technology Attitudes and Operating Systems
- Attitudes of adult PC users vary with operating system
MetaFacts releases ongoing research on the market shifts and profiles for Windows Vista, Mobile PCs, Workplace PCs, Home PCs, Broadband, Digital Imaging, and many other technology industry topics. These Profile Reports are in a series on specific topics utilizing the Technology User Profile Annual Edition study, which reveals the changing patterns of technology adoption and use in American households and businesses. Interested technology professionals can sign up at www.metafacts.com for complimentary TUPdates, periodic snapshots of technology markets.
MetaFacts, Inc. is a national market research firm focusing exclusively on the technology industries. MetaFacts’ Technology User Profile survey is the longest-running, large-scale comprehensive study of its kind, conducted continuously since 1983, the year before Apple released the Apple Macintosh. The detailed results are widely recognized as a primary marketing resource for Fortune 1000 companies providing consumer-oriented technology products and services, such as PCs, printers, peripherals, mobile computing, and related services and products. For more information, contact MetaFacts at 1-760-635-4300 or www.metafacts.com