Besides the one or two specific activities mentioned above, the top 10 list of activities for the busiest and least-busy are nearly identical. The busiest mobile PCs users simply use their computers for a broader range of activities than the least-busy do. Of the 52 PC/Online activities we asked about in the survey, the Busiest Mobile PC Users use their computers for an average of 23.5 activities, compared with only 17.7 for the least-busy.
The biggest gap between the busiest and the least-busy is within personal and entertainment activities. One key personal application is storing and managing calendars and appointments.
- Is the calendar the next silver bullet for busy mobiles, just as cup holders became decisive for autos? Looking ahead, to the extent that PDAs, Smartphones, and iPhones can take over the PC’s calendar function, they might pry notebooks from these busiest users’ hands.
Among entertainment activities, listening to streaming audio or Internet radio is much more widespread among the busiest, at 59% of PCs, than among the least-busy, at 41%. Similarly, using the PC to watch DVDs is more common at 51% of the busiest PCs, compared with 33% of the least-busy.
Within communication activities, creating web pages is more often among the Busiest Mobile PC Users, at 28% of PCs, than it is among the least-busy, at 11%.
This information is released from the Busy Mobiles Profile Report, a Technology User Profile solution from MetaFacts. It is based on recent survey-based research, reporting directly from a representative sample of actual users. The Busy Mobiles Profile Report is available for immediate purchase through the online store at the MetaFacts website – MetaFacts.com
Other findings in the MetaFacts Busy Mobiles Profile Report include:
- How many busy Mobiles?
- Who are these busy users?
- The Most Busy Mobile PC Users are in Certain Occupations
- What keeps the busiest so busy?
- Who Owns the Busiest Mobile PCs?
- What are the Attitudes of the Busiest?
- What Kinds of Mobile PCs are Used the Most?
- Locations Where the Busiest Mobile PCs are Used
- Where the Busiest Stop to Shop
- Electronics Used by the Busiest Mobile PC Households
- Shopping List of the Busy Mobile PC Household
MetaFacts releases ongoing research on the market shifts and profiles for Windows Vista, Mobile PCs, Workplace PCs, Home PCs, Broadband, Digital Imaging, and many other technology industry topics. These Profile Reports are in a series on specific topics utilizing the Technology User Profile Annual Edition study, which reveals the changing patterns of technology adoption and use in American households and businesses. Interested technology professionals can sign up at www.metafacts.com for complimentary TUPdates, periodic snapshots of technology markets.
MetaFacts, Inc. is a national market research firm focusing exclusively on the technology industries. MetaFacts’ Technology User Profile survey is the longest-running, large-scale comprehensive study of its kind, conducted continuously since 1983, the year before Apple released the Apple Macintosh. The detailed results are widely recognized as a primary marketing resource for Fortune 1000 companies providing consumer-oriented technology products and services, such as PCs, printers, peripherals, mobile computing, and related services and products. For more information, contact MetaFacts at 1-760-635-4300 or www.metafacts.com