Today, Circuit City formally announced bankruptcy restructuring under Chapter 11.
In this heaviest quarter for year-end consumer electronics holiday purchases, any change by a major retailer sets off a billard-ball type effect with competitors. As they ready their competitive responses, it’s most important to keep the eye on the customers.
As part of the forthcoming Consumer Electronics Outlets Profile Report, MetaFacts has found several very interesting tidbits in our consumer research.
Where else do Circuit City shoppers regularly shop and buy?
We asked 8,016 online households about their shopping behavior at 26 major retail and online outlets.
First, Circuit City shoppers are active shoppers – very active. On average, Circuit City shoppers shop at nearly three times as many outlets as online households that don’t shop at Circuit City. Regularly shopping and buying at 12.2 outlets means there is a lot of competition for these active buyers, and buyers already know the way elsewhere.
- More than three-fourths (77%) of Circuit City’s customers also regularly shop at Best Buy, either at retail or online
- This is an enormous overlap, given that only 37% of all online households regularly shop at Best Buy, either at retail or online
- Just under two-thirds (65%) shop at Best Buy retail outlets
- This is another large gap, as only 32% of all online households regularly shop at Best Buy retail
- Less than a third (29%) shop at Best Buy online
- The online gap is smaller, as 11% of all online households regularly shop at Best Buy online